we define each artisan as being a part of our collective
From the beginning, our mission has been providing artisans, who practice environmentally friendly techniques, a platform to reach the global market. Ethical trade is part of that puzzle. We want our products to be made by people who earn a living wage, receive benefits, feel safe at work, and are treated with respect!
That is why, all of our artisans are certified by at least one independent third-party party standard – Craftmark, GOTS, and SMETA. Some examples of their criteria are below.
- Employment is freely chosen.
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining are respected.
- Working conditions must be safe and hygienic.
- Employers must provide a living wage.
- Working hours are not excessive.
- Overtime must be voluntary and always compensated at a premium rate.
- Child labor is prohibited.
- No discrimination is practiced.
- Regular employment is provided.
- Harsh or inhumane treatment is prohibited.
Certifications are just the first step! Every day we are learning new ways to improve the lives of the wonderful artisans who make our products. Our goal is to listen to the artisans and build a partnership where all of us, can learn and grow together!
Our promise is and will always be to keep eco design and ethical trade at the forefront of our movement.