Global Organic Textile Standard
What is GOTS?
GOTS is the world's leading processing standard for organic textiles. It defines requirements for environmental and social responsibilities and encompasses the entire production process; from the harvesting of raw materials, manufacturing of the product and packaging.
Why did we choose GOTS?
We want to make eco and ethical shopping as easy as possible and GOTS does just that! GOTS provides one of the most comprehensive and forward-thinking standards on the market and their ability to combine eco design and ethically made, elevates it above the rest.
To make the best purchase decision, we must understand what we are buying. GOTS makes it easy!
What products are GOTS certified?
All fabric and dyes, including natural dyes, for our pillows are 100% GOTS certified. On every product page, we provide a list all materials used in the making of the product and match those materials to each materials specific certifications and country of origin.
We want to be clear. Soluna Collective is not GOTS certified however, all materials are sent to us by GOTS certified suppliers. We personally sew every single pillow and we keep all GOTS certified materials in a separate and designated area. Once made, the product is sent to you in packaging that is made from 100% recyclable materials and in-line with GOTS standards.
Below are some examples of the standard. For a full list, please visit their website.
- On-site inspection and certification of processors, manufacturers and trade are performed by independent specially accredited bodies.
- At all stages of production, organic fiber products must be separated from conventional fiber products and must to be clearly identified.
- Prohibition of critical inputs such as toxic heavy metals, formaldehyde, aromatic solvents, functional nanoparticles, genetically modified organisms (GMO) and their enzymes.
- The use of synthetic sizing agents is restricted; knitting and weaving oils must contain no heavy metals.
- Bleaches must be based on oxygen (no chlorine bleaching)
- Azo dyes that release carcinogenic amine compounds are prohibited
- Discharge printing methods using aromatic solvents and plastisol printing methods using phthalates and PVC are prohibited
- Wet processing units must keep full records of the use of chemicals, energy, water consumption and wastewater treatment, including the disposal of sludge.
- The wastewater from all wet processing units must be treated in a functional waste water treatment plant.
- Packaging material must not contain PVC. Paper or cardboard used in packaging material, hang tags, swing tags etc. must be recycled or certified according to FSC or PEFC
- Employment is freely chosen.
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining are respected.
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic.
- Living wages. Wages should always be enough to meet basic needs and provide some discretionary income.
- There must be no recruitment of child labor.
- Working hours are not excessive. Workers must not be required to work in excess of 48 hours per week on a regular basis.
- No discrimination is practiced.
- Regular employment is provided.
- Deductions from wages as a disciplinary measure are not permitted.
- Harsh or inhumane treatment is prohibited. Physical abuse or discipline, the threat of physical abuse, sexual or other harassment and verbal abuse or other forms of intimidation must be prohibited.
The highest grade GOTS provides for a fabric is “Grade 1: Organic” which means, the fabric must contain, “≥ 95% certified organic fibers and ≤ 5 % non-organic natural or synthetic fibers .” At Soluna collective, we only use fabric that is 100% organic and contains no synthetic fibers.
GOTS website: http://www.global-standard.org/